Sivasagar is the headquarter of Sivasagar
district of Assam. Once it was an ancient
capital of Ahoms, who ruled Assam nearly six
hundred years before the British ruled the
Assam. The town, which literally means 'the
ocean of Lord Shiva', is strewn with the
tell-tale ruins of a powerful empire. The
most remarkable landmark of the town is the
200 year old Sivasagar tank. Sivasagar is
famous for three ancient temples situated on
the bank of Sivasagar tank in the middle of
the city- Shivadol, Vishnudol and Devidol.
The Shivadol is a Shiva temple one of the
highest temples in India." The Ocean of
Shiva"- lies 60-km east of Jorhat and 369-km
from Guwahati and is an important centre for
the tea and oil trades. It's cluster of
monuments from six centuries of Ahom rule
are still of significance to modern Assamese
A huge artificial tank, constructed by Queen
Madambika in 1734, lies at the heart of the
complex. Rising from its southern shore, the
massive plain 32-metre-high Shivadol is the
tallest Shiva temple in India, flanked by
smaller temples dedicated to Durga and
Vishnu. Pilgrims come from all over the
state visit this temple during the
Shivaratri festival. On the western shore of
the lake next to a park, the Tai Ahom Museum
contains a few ill-labeled artifacts.
Modern Sivasagar is a fast developing town
and is the headquarters of the district of
the same of name. The Eastern Regional
Headquarters of the Oil and natural Gas
commission is located at Nazira only a few
kilometers away from the town.
There are several worship and historical
monuments in and around Sivasagar for
tourist attraction. Several Vaishvava satras,
Bhudhist and Sakta shrines, more than 500
tanks, Muslim Dargaha and several historical
places. Some famous places to visit are :
The first amphitheatre in Asia. A
two-storied oval-shaped pavilion from which
members of the Ahom royal family watched
elephant fights and other sporting events.
It was built by King Pramatta Singha
(1744-1754) and stands close to the Kareng
Kareng Ghar and
About 6 km from Sivasagar town, a seven
storied palace is known as Kareng Ghar and
Talatal Ghar. This palace has three storeys
underground and has four upper storeys. The
underground storeys are called Talatal Ghar
and the upper storeys are called Kareng Ghar.
There were two underground tunnels from the
Talatal Ghar connecting Dikhow River and
Gargaon place, which were later blocked by
the East India Company. This palace was
built by King Rudra Singh in 1696 - 1714.
Jayasagar Tank and
About 5 km from Sivasagar, Jayasagar Tank
was built by king Rudra Singh memory of his
mother, Joymoti, a patriotic martyr in 1697
at Rangpur (5-km). It covers an area of 318
acres and on its bank 3 temples famous
temples of Joydol (Vishnu), Shivadol (Shiva)
and Devidol, were built in 1698 by the same
monarch which are highly revered.
Gauri Sagar Tank
Gauri Sagar Tank is located 12 km from
Sivasagar, was built by Rani Phuleswari Devi
in 1722 - 1791. and was dedicated to goddess
Durga. It is covering an area of 150 acres.
Two big temples of Shivadol and Vishnudol
are built on the bank of this tank.
Rudra Sagar Tank
Rudra Sagar Tank is located 8 km from
Sivasagar. This tank was built in 1773 by
King Lakshmi Singha in memory of his father
King Rudra Singha. A famous temple of Shiva
is built on the bank of the tank.
Charaideo is 28 km from Sivasagar, was the
ancient capital of Ahom Kings. Burial vaults
of Ahom kings and their relatives are found
in this place.
Ajan Pir Dargah
Ajan Pir Dargah Shariff is located 22 km
from Sivasagar at Saraguri Chapori town.
Thousands of devotees gather here to pay
homage on the day of 'URS'.